Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Family traditions

Wow! I am so sorry (again) for how long it has been since I last blogged! I have noticed similar posts on many of the blogs that I follow, so at least I'm not alone! right?! But, I still feel bad! life has been a jumble of commitments and minor meltdowns lately. I figured that wasn't the best time to post on my blog...no matter how "anonymous" I am. haha.

This year my class joined Mrs Sneaker, my amazing teammate, is creating family traditions projects. We already do family projects throughout the year that give children a chance to decorate a project in whatever fashion they would like (snowmen, turkeys, eggs, etc). I have loved getting to see the creativity that comes from these kids! Last year, Mrs Sneaker had her class create family traditions projects where she sent home a letter with instructions and some ideas of traditions, and they got to decide what that would look like for them.

I am LOVING learning about my kids and the traditions they have in their homes! I have learned about (and therefore been able to discuss) many different religions, cultures, and special events for each child in my class. One of my favorite things about this project is that it doesn't have to been one holiday or religion-oriented, but it is open to all interpretations! We even talked about how my family could do Duck football as our tradition :)  With so many different religious preferences and backgrounds in my classroom, I love not needing to worry about offending anyone with this project :)

Here are some of the awesome projects I've received (I wish I could share them all, but many of them had lots of photos and for the protection of their privacy I have not included them) By the way- sorry about the ugly cropping of faces...it's been a long day! Did I mention when it was time to get coats and backpacks we had a fire alarm go off? ya....


We learned about one student who is a Jehovah's Witness, it was pretty cool!

I learned this student is Hawaiian!



Do you do anything like this in your classroom? If so, I'd love to hear how it works for you!  Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post

No comments: