Thursday, September 1, 2011

Supply Night

I have been thinking of so many things that I want to write about, but just don't have the energy! Like getting the classroom ready, trainings galore, and oh ya, the 200 mile relay I ran last weekend. I'm still trying to get back into my sleep patterns! whew!

Well, last night was supply night and I sure did not feel ready. however, I got my room set up and was excited to see all of the families that came. We did it a little differently this year, which I wasn't too keen on, but I figured I would try it and then give my input for changes next year. In the past we have called it our kinder meet and greet. only the kindergarten families came, checked in and got their bus information verified by their teacher, and then went into the classrooms to sort their communal supplies and get their pictures taken. this gave them time to explore the room a little and find where they would be sitting. Then they would go to the cafeteria and get ice cream and mingle while the teachers finished checking in students. Then we would give a speech/intro to kindergarten and show them all of the highlights/important information for the year. During this time the kinders would get to go on a short bus ride and then play on the playground. the parents LOVED it!

Well, this year the school decided that we would ALL have supply night at the same time (k-5) and it was from 3:30-5:30, not our normal 5-7:30 (the early time is hard for working parents!) I enjoyed being in the room and getting to talk with families, but the turnout was horrible. normally all but 1 or 2 kids come, this time I only had 12 of 18! I'm bummed because I didn't get to meet them, check their bus info, and get their picture taken. I like to have their pictures up the first day of school so that they can easily do their attendance. Now i'll need to catch up on the first day, not to mention the new kids I'm sure i'll get over this weekend...

Add to that the loss of a prep day we used to have on the tuesday after labor day. Now the kids start that day. Needless to say, we are all feeling a little unprepared....I'm pretty much all set for school to start, I just need to get my mind wrapped around the kiddos coming! I'm planning on doing some more work from home tomorrow and then heading to washington to visit my sis and the kids for the weekend!

What do you do for supply night?   Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post

No comments: