Friday, May 20, 2011

Butterflies

Right now we are in our second week of watching the caterpillars turn into butterflies. This is always my favorite time of the year, because we get to actually follow a theme! Normally the day is completely planned out by scripted curriculum, but at this point in the year, we get to have more freedom when it comes to writing. To me, this means SCIENCE! We do everything we can around what is happening to our caterpillars. Well, my amazing teammate and friend, Katie, found a bunch of songs about butterflies that the kids have been loving! We learn a new song every couple of days which is a great way to transition during activities as well as reinforce what we know about butterflies. So much fun! I love music, but haven't found my creativity when it comes to new songs and ways to integrate them. That's where Katie comes in! She has integrated word of the week songs by Heidisongs and keeps sharing new songs she finds to use in other areas of class as well. Man, this girl was born to be a kindergarten teacher! Anyways, here are some of the super fun songs we have learned over the past week. Doesn't singing with kids just make you happy? I'm never worried if I sound good, they just don't care! :)

Caterpillar (to the tune of itsy bitsy)-2nd song to this tune we learned
“creepy crawly caterpillar
Looping up and down,
Furry tufts of hair along
Your back of golden brown.
You will soon be wrapped in silk,
Asleep for many a day;
And then, a handsome butterfly,
You’ll stretch and fly away.”


The butterfly song (to the tune of up on the housetop)
“First comes a butterfly and lays an egg.
Out comes a caterpillar with many legs.
Oh see the caterpillar spin and spin,
A little chrysalis to sleep in.
Oh, Oh, Oh, wait and see!
Oh, oh, oh, wait and see!
Out of the chrysalis, my oh my,
Out comes a beautiful butterfly!”

Butterfly Cycle (to the tune of row row row your boat)
“hatch, hatch little egg,
I’m so very small.
Teeny tine caterpillar,
You can’t see me at all.
Crawl, caterpillar, crawl
Munching on a leaf.
Crawling, munching, crawling, munching
Eat and eat and eat.
Form, form chrysalis
I’m a different shape;
Hanging by a silken thread
Until I can escape.
Rest, rest, chrysalis
While I change inside;
Now at last my time has gone
To be a butterfly.
Stretch, stretch, pretty wings
It’s a special day;
Soon they will be strong enough
For me to fly away.
Fly, fly, butterfly,
Fly from flower to tree;
Find a place to lay my eggs
So they can grow like me.”



Fuzzy Fuzzy Caterpillar

“The fuzzy, fuzzy caterpillar
Curled up on a lead,
Spun her little chrysalis
And then fell fast asleep.
While she was sleeping
She dreamed that she could fly,
And later when she woke up
She was a butterfly!”



All songs found at http://www.kinderkorner.com/butterflies.html


Here are our caterpillars today :) Over the weekend some have predicted that they will be in their chrysalis by the time we return. Check back Monday to find out!



Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post

No comments: