Friday, July 22, 2011

Generosity


I continue to be amazed by the generosity in the world, but at the same time do not hesitate to offer that same generosity to others. Isn't that interesting? I make a point to treat others with the same love and compassion that God gives us, yet It seems like I have become jaded because so often we see this view ignored. Does that make sense?
Well, yesterday I was both shown this generosity and also saw a child recognize it, too.

I am currently waiting tables as a summer job at our local (amazing) athletic club, and last night was a busy night. I had a table with three kids all under 5 and their mom, who was just the sweetest lady on earth! Well, loving kids, I find myself spending my extra time chatting with them at the table (don't we all? haha) and at the end of the night, the little girl looked up at me and said "You have been so nice to us!" With a sweet mix of confusion and love. Wow. I know her mom gives her lots of attention (as evidenced at the table) but you could tell that the little girl often felt "ignored" by others. I responded by telling her thank you and she had been so nice to me! Don't you just LOVE children? Even when they are bugging the living daylights out of me, if I just step back, I can't help but LOVE who they are! I know as teachers you are all nodding your heads in agreement, but it still amazes me that not everyone in the world feels the same way...sigh...

Well, here comes part 2 of my generosity story. Last night I woke up around 2:30 (2nd night in a row! ugh) and couldn't sleep, so I checked my email and had a new donation in my donors choose project! While this might not seem like a big deal, let me tell you, it has been hard to get this project funded! I've had a couple of donations from family and friends, but for months it has been sitting with over 200 dollars left needing to be filled and the proposal ends in august. I had come to the conclusion that it just would not be funded, and "oh well". Well, last week I got an email that my project was up for a match grant from lakeshore...but that meant I still needed donors. I HATE asking for money, so I smiled when donors choose put it on facebook, but other than that, I left it alone. Well, someone I do not know donated to our project last night and now with the match it is almost fully funded!! I am in AWE of this person's generosity!!

So, today I am reflecting on the good in the world. It reminds me of the importance of showing generosity to others as well as recognizing others when they show it to you. What an amazing this to be reminded of :) Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post

1 comment:

Cindy said...

What great stories of generosity. Thanks for sharing them. (My donor's choose project was partially funded by Lakeshore and was fully funded just yesterday!)